In the event your pet stops breathing, take the following steps:
Apply artificial respiration and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR):
- Clear the animal’s mouth of foreign matter.
- Close the animal’s muzzle with hands, cover its nose with a clean, thin cloth and blow directly into animal’s nostrils at 12-15 breaths per minute.
Concurrently begin CPR:
- Lay the animal on its right hand side on a flat surface.
- With the mouth closed and artificial respiration in progress, locate the heart by reaching deep into the socket of the pet’s left leg and counting 3-4 ribs back towards the tail along the pet’s chest.
- Place the heel of your hand in that spot and compress the chest rhythmically 60-80 times per minute.
- Compress 1-2 inches for large dogs, less than 1 inch for small dogs and cats.