We are looking for an experienced (3+ years) veterinary technician to join our team here at Channel Islands Veterinary Hospital in Port Hueneme and our sister hospital Las Posas Veterinary Medical Center in Camarillo. For over 32 years our doctors and staff have been delivering a high level of medical care that both supports and educates our clients to provide their beloved pets the best of health care throughout their lives.
The purpose of this position is to become a team member of our hospital nursing staff and perform a variety of duties concerned with animal health and client education in support of our hospitals, assuring quality service for the patients who have been entrusted into our care. You will work in a team atmosphere directed by our doctors and our lead technician of the day. Your work will be reviewed in terms of the overall quality you provide our patients as well as your ability to be a strong participating member of our nursing team. Applicants should have a good work ethic and an enthusiastic attitude. Must be able to take direction and work well with others.
This position requires knowledge of hospital procedures and the spelling and meaning of commonly used veterinary terminology in order to accurately enter patient information into the medical record. It’s imperative to have a good understanding of the nutritional products (diets, supplements, etc.) medications (injectable, oral, topical, etc) and different types of lab tests used in our hospitals.
Depending on the type of career you’ve had as well as your level of experience, you will be assisted in further learning.
Job Description / Major Duties
- Specific skills required: patient assessment, digital radiology, digital dental radiology, venipuncture, placement of catheters, surgical prep, assisting surgeon, assist doctor with ultrasounds, endoscopies, monitoring anesthesia, patient recovery, dental prophies, lab work, pharmacy, care of hospitalized patients
- Act as the eyes and ears for the doctors while the patient is in our care.
- Assist in performance of a variety of technical and client education duties that facilitate the work of the doctors, kennel assistants and other managers who directly or indirectly provide patient care.
- Oversee completion of daily checklists and weekly maintenance logs.
- Refer charts to the hospital manager for questions concerning charges and to the appropriate veterinarian for questions concerning treatment.
This is a full-time position that includes one weekend day. We offer a competitive compensation package, profit sharing (fully funded by the hospitals), medical insurance, paid vacation, employee discounts for personal pets and uniforms. We are dedicated to providing continuing education, job satisfaction and a goal-oriented, fast-paced energizing position. We hope you will consider joining our multi-doctor practices and support staff in offering exceptional and compassionate pet care.
A licensed technician is preferred but not a requirement.
Salary ranges (commensurate with amount of experience):
- $20-$25 per hour + signing bonus for a Registered Veterinary Technician in the state of California with 3+ years of experience. Performance review at 6 months.
- $18-$23 for unlicensed technician with added assistance of partial payment to become licensed after 6 months employment.
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unless you have professional experience working with pets, please do not apply.